Friday 15 June 2012

Diablo 3 - Love's, Latency's, Lost

I first played Diablo 1 at my friend’s house on her big brother’s super-duper new computery-thing somewhere between 1996-1997. We were little babies back then, and this was less than an appropriate game for us however, fate was involved….


I still remember the screams and running to hide underneath the bed at the sound of the butcher “ahhh, fresh meat!” (Funnily enough, nothing in the game before this point had scared us.) As the years went on, I continued to play, and I welcomed Diablo 2 into my list of favourite games.
oh, the memories... (google images)
So yes, I was looking forward to the release of Diablo3 to say the least. I was one of those people who had a 'bitch fit' when I couldn’t play the game the moment of launch#error37. But I had been patient; I scorned those on the forums who claimed the release was ‘rushed’. I’m sorry, but I cannot consider a game 11 years or so in-the-making ‘rushed’. With the wanting-to-drive-soul-stone-usb-drive-into-head aside, I felt much like this impassioned young fellow...


After the initial rage, I then resigned myself to join masses of others to complain about the online-only status of the game. I do not want to continue the debate here, I have read and considered the reasoning from both sides of the discussion on the forums: I am still not a fan of this aspect of the game. My game was slow, I had an average latency of 600-800 milliseconds (quite bad), enemies kept appearing right in front of me (not teleporting), and people were unashamedly (and ignorantly) blaming my computer specs/internet connection. I was angry like many others and had every right to be.

I'm writing a letter! (google images)

I am quite hooked on roaming the maps, killing things, collecting loot, deciding which items to use and which to sell. I first chose the Demon Hunter as my character, mainly because she seemed the closest thing to ‘rogue’ (my favourite in Diablo 1). I have also played a bit as the Witch Doctor and Wizard characters and am enjoying them thoroughly. I love the game; I just wish money wasn’t such an issue in this world and the game could be offline too so the RMAH (real money auction house) for buying and selling equipment didn’t have to generate funds to support the game severs…. lets not go into that.

My demon hunter with ferrets banner, squee! (screenshot)

I was going to make a little list of things I’d like to see added to the game, but right now I can only think of one, and that is some sort of potion-switching thing. Firstly, I am not a fan of the 30-second lockout on using potions. I can live with it, but I would definitely like to see some sort of mechanism that, when supplies are depleted, automatically switches to other health potions in my inventory other than the one I have set to the hotkey ‘Q’.

I really, really love the 'companion' demon hunter skill. Especially since I can summon a pair of funky little ferrets to follow me around and give me more gold. I have a pet ferret named 'Ace' and he is wonderful and I love ferrets! 
Can you think of any little ‘doo-whackeys’ or adjustments you would like made? Comment here if you do, or if you just want to make any notes about the game in general. Also, my battle tag is Violla#6541 if you want to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog, comments and feedback are always deeply appreciated, but please refrain from spam, follow for follow comments etc.